Sunday, July 29, 2012

I am Happy to Play


Hello all!  We know it is a bit late – but here is the next item created by Patricia Basson, our Design Team Member for July, with some of the goodies in her kit.  We hand over to her now, and she will explain step by step how she created this amazing card

It was supposed to be a card, but I am loving it so much that it will rather stay with me! At first it may not look like much, but look at the steps I went through to get the back ground paper and you will understand why I love it ...

Using a sheet of the plain white paper from my DT pack, I used Adirondack Colour Wash; Butterscotch and Meadow on it. Remember to first wet the paper with water in order for the Colour Wash to spread, I also sprayed it some more with water to get a good do end up with a very wet sheet of paper, but after a blast with the heat gun, it is ready for the next step.

After blending some Distress Inks onto the sheet, I applied the Spritz and Flick technique from Tim Holtz to achieve the droplet effect.

Next I stamped with one of the Spills and Splatters stamps and Archival Ink.

Then it was a run through the Cuttlebug using the Harlequin embossing  folder. Isn't it neat how one can transform an ordinary white piece of paper into something this interesting?

I wasn't done with it. I applied a layer of Crackle paint over the piece that I wanted to use, and lightly scraped the excess paint of, leaving a layer in the de bossed area. I did however forget the first and most important chemistry rule of Distress is water soluble and will react with moisture, there for some ink was scraped of with the crackle pain! Next time I will (hopefully) remember to first seal the Distress Ink before applying the crackle paint! But I was still happy with the final result.

Next in line were the Mixed Minis alphas. When I first received my DT pack containing the Antiqued Bronze Distress crackle paint, I had to experiment with it, I applied it to a scrap piece of paper, and knowing that the cracking can be sped up with a heat gun once it starts to crack, I did the same with this, only to find that it started to bubble! Of course I just loved the overly grunged look it gave me and thus applied this technique to my alphas! I know for some it will be un neat, but I loved the look for this project!

After colouring my ribbon, I stamped one of my DT stamps from the Old Curiosity Shop with Cranberry Earthstone Adirondack inks onto it. The two die cut pieces are from Graphic 45, Le Cirque Tags.

I hope any one visiting this post will also like the transformation of  that plain white paper into a usable back ground...

Remember to visit Patricia’s Blog for more inspiration and Scrapbook Studio’s Online Store for all these and more amazing products!


  1. Wow Patricia, this is amazing. Great job :)

  2. Lovely textures - will have to give some of your techniques a try !

  3. I love all the texture...well done Patricia.