Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tim Holtz Distress Marker Tutorial

 

IMG_7030

So, we all know the biggest hype from Winter CHA 2012 was the Distress Markers by Tim Holtz!  Well, we are on our second shipment in the shop – the first time around we could not get our hands on any, they were all grabbed up before we could even price them properly – and this time we made sure we kept a few so that we could show you just how great they really are!  The picture above shows these pens off in full glory – we inked a beautiful stamp with various colours, and just stamped onto plain heavyweight cream cardstock.  Then we misted the same stamp with a mini-mister filled with water without re-inking it, and stamped it again.  Wow.  That is all we can say – the image speaks for itself.

IMG_7026

Here we have the finished item and all the products used to create it.  I took a No 8 American Tag, 13#, and completely covered it with Aged Mahogany Distress Ink using my blending tool.

IMG_6998

I then coloured one of the Butterflies on the Tim Holtz Butterflies and Moths stamp.  I really love that you can only colour what you want – even though there is more than 1 image on the stamp. 

IMG_6999

I stamped it onto watercolour paper once, and then misted it with my water-filled mini-mister.

IMG_7005

I stamped it again and the image above is the result I got.  I was very happy with it.

IMG_7010

I then outlined the edges of both the tag and the butterfly with the Aged Mahogany Distress Marker.  Just look how it pops!

    IMG_7013

Next I inked up my Prima Almanac Typewriter stamp with the Black Soot Distress Marker.

 IMG_7014

It gives a wonderfully detailed image!

 IMG_7017

I sprayed my tag with my mini mister – love how the Distress Ink reacts with the water!!

IMG_7020

Next I punched a few hearts from my left over paper and I coloured them with my Barn Door Distress Marker.  I misted the big one with my mini-mister and it made it slightly lighter than the small one on the left.

IMG_7019

I then decided to see how the marker would react to some Perfect Pearls, so I took some Perfect Red Perfect Pearls and just brushed it onto the heart.  It looks really nice and shimmery in real life!

IMG_7023

With my last heart, I wet my paper THOROUGHLY and then I just touched the Distress Marker onto the paper.  You can see how the ink “streaked”.  It was a bit light to my taste for this experiment, so I added some more colour with the Distress Marker 

IMG_7025

After adding more and more colour, it ended up looking like this!  I have to add here – when you use the Distress Marker on watercolour paper saturated with water like this, it tends to “lighten” your marker.  I forgot to take pictures, but I had to actually make a few marks on some scrap papers to get the pen to be it’s correct colour again.  I loved discovering this – it means that if I need a lighter shade, I can just dip my pen into some water, and when I am done, just get the original colour back by making a few strokes on some paper.

IMG_7026

Once again – the finished item.  The “white” shadow you see under the black typewriter is where I stamped with the Picket Fence Distress Marker – I did not dry my tag first before stamping on it, so it did not give me the effect I wanted.  This is not a tag I plan on doing anything more with than use it as a sample – so I will now know what NOT to do and what to do with my Tim Holtz Distress Markers!  These markers are for sale here.  There is a pretty good deal if you buy a whole set – you save almost R300!!!  Get yours now!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, those markers are lovely Cariena, I think I must put them on my "wish list". I love what you have done with them on this tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...hierdie markers is AWESOME...!!!! Beautiful tag, Cariena!

    ReplyDelete